attack: No breakthrough
Director General of the Media Centre for National
Security (MCNS), Lakshman Hulugalle said yesterday
that ‘Siyatha’ TV and Radio offices are at Union
Place and not in the high security zone.
He said that the police is fully geared to handle
the inquiries concerning the petrol bomb attack on
the ‘Siyatha’ office premises.
The incident took place on Friday between 1.30 a.m.
and 1.45 a.m.
According to the News Director of the Channel,
Udithamal Hemachandra, 12 persons who came in two
vehicles carried out the attack.
“There had been only four employees at the office
at the time. Three out of the four were from the
staff and fourth was a security guard,” Hemachandra
The attackers had initially harassed the staff on
duty and the security guard before hurling petrol
bombs causing damage to TV operation building and
the Radio operation building.
“Two floors of the TV operation building are
completely destroyed which comprised the studio,
main operation room, main control room (MCR), news
room, programme room, library and the cassette store
room,” said Hemachandra.
He said that the fourth floor of the Radio
operation building has also been completely
destroyed though no harm has been caused to any of
the radio transmission equipment.
“We have not yet figured out the total cost of the
damage. Siyatha TV would be back to normal within
another two to three weeks. Though we can carry on
with our transmitting we cannot do play productions
at the moment,” he added.
According to Hemachandra the gang had been armed.
A petrol can had also been found within the office
premises which the gang had brought for the attack.
“We still cannot figure out what is the actual
reason behind this attack,” Hemachandra said.
Meanwhile police media spokesman, SP Prishantha
Jayakody said that investigations are continuing as
to the attack and so far no arrests had been made.
“Police do not want to reveal any details regarding
the investigations because it would hamper further
investigations,” he added.