Best is behind me now
Ricky Ponting has
revealed he agrees with former Australian captain
Mark Taylor’s suggestion that his “best is behind
But Ponting’s solid form on this tour of India has
him believing he can still be a force.
“Well, I think what Mark had to say was that he
probably didn’t think I could get any better from
where I am at the moment,” Ponting said.
“It wasn’t so much about saying that I’m past it. He
just thought that it was going to be hard for me to
get back to my absolute best again, and that’s
“I think there is a period in every batsman’s life
where they are playing at their absolute best. Even
Sachin Tendulkar now, even though he scored nine
hundreds last year, was probably not at his absolute
“So what Mark said may be right, but by no means do
I think I can’t play at the level I want to play at.
And if I can’t play at that level, then I won’t play
the game anyway. I have said that for a long time.
“So I have just got to be a good, consistent
contributor in the No. 3 role, and be the best
captain and the leader I can be for the next few
months, and we will see what effect it has on the
Ponting, Mike Hussey, Simon Katich, Brad Haddin and
Marcus North won’t be around for the next Ashes
campaign at home, in the 2014-15 summer, and this
summer may be the last series against England for
some of them.
On that basis, Ponting has urged his most
experienced troops to fire in one of their last
“Ricky has spoken a lot to us senior guys and me as
vice-captain, it’s important for all of us to lead
by example,” vice-captain Michael Clarke said.
“Us senior guys have to make sure we’re all
performing. The captain wants you to step up, so
you’ve got to do it. You’ve got to do the work,
you’ve got to find a way to get out there and make
runs. When things aren’t going your way, you’ve got
to find a way to hang in.
“We’ve all played a fair bit of cricket by now and
know what to expect. We’ve got no excuses not to
Australia’s Ashes squad will be named at Sydney
Opera House on November 15. - [Herald Sun]
|‘Red Bull X-Fighters’ motorcross riders in
at Galle Face Green on November 6
By M Naushad
Sri Lanka will become the second country in the
Asian region to feature the thrills of the ‘Red Bull
X-Fighters’. They are considered as the world’s best
freestyle motorcross riders and will performe at the
Galle Face Green on November 6. Four of the world’s
best thrill riders Nick De Wit from South Africa,
Martin Koren from Czech Republic and Belgians Jimmy
Verburgh and Gilles Dejong will arrive in Sri Lanka
on November 3, three days prior to the main event.
Niranjala Rodrigo, the Business Manager for Red Bull
in Sri Lanka on behalf of the organisers addressing
a media conference held at Galle Face Hotel on
October 21 told The Nation that the Sri Lanka
Government along with Ministry of Defence and Sri
Lanka Army have come forward to assist the event.
“We featured the world’s best stunt rider Chris
Pfeiffer last year and we at Red Bull wanted to give
all the Sri Lankans something extra this year. When
we proposed our arrangements to government officials
they willingly came forward to assist us in
organising the event. We have the fullest support
from the Defence Secretary and the Sri Lanka Army as
this will be a special occasion for all of us in Sri
Lanka. In addition this event will further boost
tourism in the country when this event goes global
through the internet,” he said.
The four riders will engage in training the master
class riders of Sri Lanka Army on November 3 soon
after their arrival. The event scheduled in Sri
Lanka will be an exhibition feature of the riders
who completed the Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour a
few weeks ago. According to Rodrigo, roads adjoining
the Galle Face Green will be closed on the day of
the event as they expect a massive crowd of up to
50,000 to witness the thrills. The event will be
free to all.
could ban vuvuzelas
Vuvuzelas could be
banned in South African football grounds unless
Kaizer Chiefs fans improve their behaviour.
At a recent cup game, supporters of the country’s
most popular club threw two vuvuzelas and a cabbage
onto the pitch.
Chiefs have been handed a suspended fine of
US$72,130, while their chairman was ordered to make
a public apology.
“Should vuvuzelas continue to be used as missiles
they could be banned,” the Premier Soccer League’s
prosecutor Zola Majavu said on Thursday.
Many football fans watching this year’s World Cup in
South Africa on television wish that vuvuzelas had
been banned, given the wasp-like drone that
accompanied match commentaries.
However, thousands of supporters took vuvuzelas to
games, with many visiting fans purchasing an item
that came to symbolise the 2010 World Cup.
Should any Chiefs fan throw a missile onto the pitch
for the rest of the season, the Johannesburg-based
club must pay its fine - and could prompt a vuvuzela
Chiefs were also ordered to pay costs of US$3,000
for the disciplinary hearing and told to hold a news
conference to denounce spectator misbehaviour.
“We call upon (fans) to help identify rogue elements
intent on causing disruption,” club chairman Kaizer
Motaung told the news conference on Thursday.
“Once (they are) identified we intend to blacklist
In recent years, South African fans have started
taking loaves of bread and raw cabbages to games,
eating them in front of television cameras to
symbolise ‘eating’ their opponents.
Chiefs fans, meanwhile, have taken credit for making
the noisy plastic vuvuzela trumpets a popular part
of South African football culture. – [BBC]