@

 
   
   
   
   
   
HOME
NEWS  
NEWS FEATURES  
INTERVIEWS  
POLITICAL COLUMN  
THIS IS MY NATION  
MILITARY MATTERS  
EDITORIAL  
SPORTS  
CARTOON  
BUSINESS  
EYE - FEATURES  
LETTERS  
EVENTS  
SOUL - YOUTH MAG  
KIDS - NATION  
ENTERTAINMENT  
NATION WORLD  
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

 

News Features  


 

Elephant Pass salt production to start
The Ministry of Traditional Industries and Small Entrepreneurs Development says that the salt production in the Elephant Pass saltern is to be resumed soon.
Necessary measures have already been taken to start the work in the saltern after renovation.
The Elephant Pass saltern, situated in the Jaffna peninsula was one of the foremost salt manufacturers of Sri Lanka in the past.
It produced 70 to 80 thousand metric tons of salt annually. However, it was abandoned for many years due to terrorist activities in the North.
The Ministry said the production of the Elephant Pass saltern would help to save a huge sum of foreign exchange since Sri Lanka is importing salt although it is an island surrounded by the Indian Ocean.
Nearly 60% of the current annual salt requirement of the country is produced locally and the remaining 40% is imported at a cost of nearly Rs380 million, a top official said.
Demining activities are also being stepped up to facilitate the production process, said the official.