Sydney's Town Hall station is evacuated with all trains stopped and police searching the area

1 day ago 51

Schoolkids shut down Sydney's Town Hall station by leaving a threatening hoax note on a train seat prompting a massive police search

Town Hall train station evacuated on Wednesday due to a police operationThere were reports of a 'verbal threat' being made and of a 'suspicious package' Trains stopped from travelling through the station, causing major delays 

By Bryant Hevesi For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 21:32 EDT, 4 May 2021 | Updated: 22:55 EDT, 4 May 2021

A group of school students are believed to be behind the shutdown of Sydney's Town Hall train station on Wednesday morning after leaving a hoax note that was reported to be a suspicious package.    

Commuters were evacuated from the city's second busiest station about 11am and all entrances were sealed off as a police operation got underway following reports of a verbal threat and a suspicious package.

But police have since confirmed their search of the station ended about 12:15pm, with no such suspicious package found. 

'A police operation at Town Hall Station has concluded with nothing found,' NSW Police tweeted.    

Sydney's Town Hall train station was evacuated about 11am on Wednesday after a 'suspicious package' had been reported to authorities. Pictured, police at the station 

All entrances to the station were sealed off while police carried out a search of the area

'Reports of a suspicious package are incorrect.' 

The reported suspicious package was understood to be a hoax note left behind on a train seat by a group of school students.   

All trains were stopped from travelling through the station due to the police operation, causing major flow on delays to the city's rail network.   

'Due to a major police operation at Town Hall Station, no trains are travelling through Town Hall. Major delays are expected on some lines. Trains are also suspended between Town Hall and North Sydney on the North Shore Line,' Sydney Trains posted on Twitter

Police are pictured outside an entrance to Town Hall train station on Wednesday morning while they searched the area for more than an hour

NSW Police confirmed about 12:15pm their operation had 'concluded with nothing found'

One commuter reported being on a train that was 'stopped underground in tunnel between Central and Town Hall station', which they said was 'apparently getting approvals to go "back" to Central'. 

Northern Line trains had to terminate at Strathfield and City Circle services were unable to operate. 

Travellers evacuated from the station, or arriving at the station due to catch a train, were told to take a bus. 

Nearby St Andrew's Cathedral School was put into a 'partial lockdown' until given police clearance.  


Read Entire Article