Vili Fualaau, who married child rapist teacher Mary Kay Letourneau, is arrested on DUI in Seattle

1 week ago 76

Vili Fualaau, pictured in July 2020, was arrested on Saturday for alleged DUI after he nearly crashed into a Seattle police vehicle, a report said

Vili Fualaau, the man who once married child rapist teacher Mary Kay Letourneau after she abused him at the age of 12, was arrested for driving under the influence on Saturday in Seattle after he nearly crashed into a police vehicle.

According to a spokesperson of the Washington State Patrol, Fualaau, now 38, was driving erratically at 4a.m. on Saturday when he made an abrupt lane change and nearly crashed into a Seattle PD vehicle. 

Fualaau was quickly pulled over before performing 'poorly' in a field sobriety test prior to his arrest. Cops say Fualaau had bloodshot and watery eyes at the time. 

The result of the test was not disclosed in the police report, adding that Fualau was taken into custody at the Snohomish County Jail on a DUI charge.

Washington State Police has not yet released his mugshot. 

Fualaau was previously charged with driving under the influence back in February 2018.

At the time, an officer from the King County Sheriff's Department told that police cited Fualaau after he crashed his 2002 Mercury Mountaineer into three cars a little before midnight on February 2 that year in Burien, Washington. 

The incident came a little less than a year after Fualaau filed for divorce. Similarly to his recent DUI arrest, the report of the old incident revealed that Fualaau had failed a field sobriety test before being taken to the station where has was booked and released on a charge of DUI.      

Fualaau is best known for his bizarre relationship with his teacher-turned-wife Mary Kay Letourneau, who passed away from in July 2020 after secretly battling stage four colon cancer for nine months.

Letourneau made headlines around the world in 1997, when the then-34-year-old teacher and mother-of-four was found to be having an abusive sexual relationship with then 12-year-old and sixth grade student Fualaau.  

They first met when Fualaau joined her second grade class in 1992, but they did not begin their sexual relationship until four years later when he was 12.    

In 1996, after the school year had ended, the pair enrolled in summer classes at the same community college and began spending more time together.

One day after class, the pair went out for dinner. In a 2018 interview, Fualaau recalled that after the meal he asked to kiss Letourneau inside her car, which she accepted.

Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau in a 20/20 special in 2015. She was his teacher in the 1990s then they got married when she was released from prison. The pair married in 2005 and remained together for 12 years until Fualaau filed for separation in 2017. He cared for her until she died of colon cancer in 2020 

Letourneau (above in 1997) was a sixth-grade teacher at Shorewood Elementary in 1996 when she was discovered to be having sexual relations Vili Fualaau, then 12 

Letourneau then had sex with Fualaau first time later that summer, when her then-husband, Steve Letourneau, was out of town.

At about 1:20 a.m. on June 19, 1996, police found the pair in a minivan parked at the Des Moines Marina. Letourneau was seen jumping into the front seat as officers approached the vehicle, while Fualaau pretended to be asleep in the back.

Fualaau and Letourneau denied there had been any 'touching.' They initially provided false names and Letourneau told police that Fualaau was 18.

Letourneau then said she had been babysitting the boy at her home and took him away in her van after she and her husband had a fight.

They were taken to the police station but no further action was taken.

However, the true nature of their relationship was uncovered in February, 1997, when Steve Letourneau found love letters that the pair had penned to one another. He confronted Fualaau, demanding he end the relationship otherwise he'd inform his parents.

'He came to my house and confronted me about it and told me if I don't want my mom knowing about this or anyone knowing about this, it was going to end,' Fualaau explained in a 2018 interview. 'I was worried about everything, about Mary, myself and I said, 'OK, I don't want this to get out anywhere.'

'The fear of my mom's reaction and the thought of everyone being affected by it was one of my biggest fears, so I said, for the better of everyone, OK. It was kind of devastating.'

However, one of Steve's relatives had already alerted school authorities about their relationship and Letourneau was arrested on statutory rape charges.

Their illegal relationship was uncovered by Letourneau's husband at the time, Steve Letourneau who found love letters exchanged between his wife and Fualaau. Steve, pictured with Mary, left at their wedding, divorced her and moved to Alaska. Mary is pictured, right, at her statutory rape trial 

Vili Fualaau, 15, is shown in court on October 25, 1998. He had just arrived in Seattle from London promoting a book he had written about his relationship with Letourneau

Former Seattle teacher Mary Kay Letourneau, whose affair with one of her ex-pupils caused a national scandal, breaks down February 6 as she is ordered to prison for 7-1/2 years for seeing the boy again

Shortly after, Steve then filed for divorce. He received full custody of their four children and moved the family to Alaska.

Letourneau was initially sentenced to three months in jail as part of a plea agreement in November 1997, in which she agreed to no longer have any contact with Fualaau.

She was pregnant with her former student's child at the time of her conviction.

Letourneau was then paroled in 1998.

However, shortly after her release from jail, she was once again found having sex in a car with Fualaau on February 3.

A judge then revoked Letourneau's prior plea agreement. She was ordered to serve seven years in prison on second-degree child rape charges for violating the no-contact order.

She gave birth to Fualaau's second child while in prison.

The young father had still not yet turned 15.  

Letourneau with her first daughter, Audrey, in 1997. Fualaau opened up about the difficulties he faced trying to raise his two daughters alone when he wasn't even an adult yet himself. The teen was eventually forced to drop out of high school and slipped into depression and alcoholism

Upon her release from prison, Fualaau, who was by then an adult, petitioned in court for a judge to remove the no-contact order.

The restraining order against Letourneau was dropped, but the shamed teacher remained a registered sex offender in Washington state.

Letourneau and Fualaau then once again shocked the world when tied the knot in 2005.

They remained married for 12 years, until Fualaau filed for divorce in 2017.

The pair continued living together while the legal separation proceeded and were occasionally spotted out with one another in the Seattle area, with their two daughters, Georgina and Audrey.

Despite several attempts to reconcile, the couple finalized their split in February 2019 and began living apart, according to King County court records.

Although they were separated, the former couple had previously described their relationship as one of love, and even wrote a book together called 'Only One Crime, Love.' 

Their relationship was also the subject of a movie, 'All American Girl' produced by USA Network.   

Letourneau broke down in 2018 as she discussed the media fallout from the couple's relationship.

The couple are shown in 2005, the year they got married. Their divorce would be filed 14 years later but they remained close

Letourneau is survived by her children, Steven Jr., Claire, Nicholas, and Jacqueline, whom she had with first husband, Steve Letourneau, in addition to the two daughters she had with Fualaau

'It's shock value. That's what it was all about. Shock. I call it media carnage. Road kill. Blood,' she said on the A&E special 'Autobiography'.

'Everybody wants to hear the story. Whether it's because they want to analyze it or criticize it. It's been 20 years but it's still there.'

Letourneau went on to claim the media's portrayal of their relationship was incorrect. She said that the relationship between the two did not start until after the school year was over, and that it quickly became physical.

'The incident was a late night that it didn't stop with a kiss. And I thought that it would and it didn't,' said Letourneau. 'I loved him very much, and I kind of thought, 'Why can't it ever just be a kiss?''

Fualaau, who also appeared, reflected on their relationship and said he 'wasn't thinking' when they started having sex when he was just 12 years old.

'The age difference, all of that stuff wasn't going through my mind,' he said. 'A lot of things that should have gone through my mind at the time, weren't going through my mind.'

Though the couple finalized their divorce last year, Gehrke said that Fualaau had been proving her 24 hour care in the final stages of her life. She died surrounded by family members, the attorney said (Pictured: The family on vacation together in New York in 2015, with their daughters Georgina, left, and Audrey ,right)

PICTURED: Fualaau with his daughters Audrey (left) and Georgia (right) in 2015

In a separate interview the same year, Letourneau claimed she had no idea it was illegal to enter a sexual relationship with a child at the time.  

'If someone had told me, if anyone had told me, there is a specific law that says this is a crime,' she told Channel Seven's Sunday Night.

'I did not know. I've said this over and over again. Had I'd known, if anyone knows my personality. Just the idea, this would count as a crime.'

Fualaau was a troubled Samoan boy from a broken home living in a rough part of Seattle at the time of the scandal. His father served time in prison for an armed robbery, and he had a difficult relationship with his mother.

He also opened up on the program about the difficulties he faced trying to raise his two daughters alone when he wasn't even an adult yet himself.

The teen was eventually forced to dropout of high school and slipped into depression and alcoholism, he said.  

PICTURED: Vili Fualaau, husband of Mary Kay Letourneau is seen for the first time since the death of his wife from cancer in 2020

'I don't feel like I had the right support or the right help behind me,' he said. 'From my family, from anyone in general. I mean, my friends couldn't help me because they had no idea what it was like to be a parent, I mean, because we were all 14, 15.'

'I'm surprised I'm still alive today. I went through a really dark time,' he added.

Fualaau's late wife, Letourneau is survived by the couples two daughters, Georgina and Audrey children, as well as Steven Jr., Claire, Nicholas, and Jacqueline, whom she had with first husband, Steve Letourneau.

Read Entire Article